EY Global Tax Communications and Engagement Leader in New York, New York
Global Tax Communications and Engagement Leader
Core Business Services
Requisition # NEW00JW6
Post Date Mar 20, 2018
Join our Core Business Services (CBS) team and you will help support the important business enablement functions that keep our organization running strong. As a CBS professional, you will work across teams to provide the knowledge, resources and tools that help EY deliver exceptional quality service to our clients, win in the marketplace and support EY’s growth and profitability. Major teams within CBS include Finance, Information Technology, Human Resources, Enterprise Support Services, Brand Marketing and Communications, Business Development, Knowledge and Risk Management.
Join our Brand, Marketing and Communications (BMC) team and you will directly support and promote our brand and reputation. Through internal communications, public relations and corporate communications, you’ll provide a wide range of marketing and communications services to internal and external audiences. These include current and future clients, our current and future employees, alumni, regulators, the media and the communities within which we operate.
With so many offerings, you have the opportunity to develop your career through a broad scope of engagements, mentoring and formal learning. That’s how we develop outstanding leaders who team to deliver on our promises to all of our stakeholders, and in so doing, play a critical role in building a better working world for our people, for our clients and for our communities. Sound interesting? Well this is just the beginning. Because whenever you join, however long you stay, the exceptional EY experience lasts a lifetime.
The Global Tax Communications and Engagement Leader (CE Leader) plays a critical role within the Global Tax BMC team. The candidate will strongly demonstrate the ability to build and execute internal communications programs bringing them to life by creating engaging initiatives blended with more traditional channels.
Together with the Global Tax BMC Leader and the wider BMC team, the CE Leader will orchestrate and contribute to position EY Tax as the most respected and preferred tax firm in the business instilling a sense of pride in all of our people. The CE Leader will be responsible for aligning the communications strategy with the Global Tax priorities which enables EY to deliver against this vision for the future. The candidate will be accountable for providing successful leadership, management and governance of EY’s internal communications priorities globally and will oversee a team focused on developing the strategy targeting and engaging our 50,000 Tax people located in 29 Regions (140 countries) around the world.
In this role the Global Tax CE Leader will own the strategy, messaging and internal story, delivering activation campaigns that engage the internal audience whilst supporting the continued growth of our business. The candidate will articulate and translate the Tax positioning into simple, memorable, meaningful messages, content and campaigns. They will work closely with the Brand and Marketing Leader (BM Leader) to ensure that the brand cascades internally driving integrated marketing approaches that enable our people to be EY Tax advocates with their clients.
Key to the role is the strategic oversight of all integrated communications plans, managing the cadence of communications / messages appropriately, teaming with Tax stakeholders across the firm and Global colleagues working in Knowledge, Communications and Engagement BMC, Global Communications, Service Lines, Markets and Marketing. The individual is also expected to have, or to quickly establish, a strong internal network and will be primarily responsible for creating and managing a robust metrics process across all Tax CE programs, supported by colleagues in GDS. The individual will also be required to work with team members to identify appropriate key performance indicators at the beginning of major projects
Success in this role will be demonstrated through the establishment of trusted advisor relationships with Global Tax executives, delivering robust reporting for the Global Tax BMC team (including the annual Global People Survey), supervising the Global and Area CE teams as they execute the annual communications strategy and plans.
Essential Functions of the Job:
• Maintain up-to-date knowledge on BMC and Tax issues, trends and long-term implications for EY’s brand strategy generally and its Communications and Engagement approach in particular
• Develop strong ‘trusted advisor’ relationships with Global Tax senior leadership
• Build on a well-connected network outside of Tax, including Advisory, Assurance and TAS, working closely with BMC colleagues across Areas and Regions in Communications and Engagement, Go-to-Market, and Brand and External Communications to help ensure integrated activities across the business.
• Support awareness of Global CE priorities and practices within the Tax CE team, facilitating aligned execution, learning and efficiencies
• Develop ideas and share innovative and creative communication approaches to key projects
• Oversee the development of global communications and engagement plans, messages and assets in support of the global Tax priorities, ensuring these are carried through to the Regions.
• Take an organizational-level view of implications: manage competing forces and drive understanding, motivation and stakeholder value
• Enable all Tax people to articulate, own and activate the compelling story and narrative behind the Tax brand strategy, working closely with the BM Leader
• Responsible for working with Area & Region CE Leaders to align, and deploy BMC Tax global programs to the regions, delivering greater impact.
• Responsible for BMC role within the planning and execution of the annual Global Tax Leadership Meeting, ensuring all messaging and priorities are carefully crafted and communicated back to the broader Tax leadership
• Have budgetary and financial management responsibilities for all CE programs
Analytical/Decision Making Responsibilities:
This individual must be able to summarize large volumes of complex information and have a proven track record in building consensus among key stakeholders as a seasoned negotiator and diplomat. The ability to work with diverse personalities and work styles is critical, including demonstrated success in building internal relationships at a senior level. The individual must also be well organized, proficient at communicating, an excellent writer, skilled listener, project manager and disciplined with time management.
Knowledge, Competency and Skill Requirements:
• Deliver on Tax and BMC strategic priorities; align BMC initiatives with EY’s performance agenda and revenue goals; achieve the desired results; communicate the BMC value proposition
• Demonstrate excellent written communications and networking experience and skills in a wide range of situations and with people at all levels within the organization, including global leadership
• Demonstrate knowledge, skills and abilities concerning global business fundamentals, business models, ethics, competitive analysis and cross-cultural/geographical sensitivities
• Strong influencing skills; gain support and commitment from others; mobilize people to take action; use creative approaches to motivate others to meet practice and BMC strategic goals; engage with leaders effectively to gain sponsorship for activities
• Collaborate effectively; partner with stakeholders to identify business needs; proactively provide exceptional client service; advise clients on communications strategies; work collaboratively and effectively with peer functions and stakeholders to deliver on EY and BMC strategic priorities
• Proactively develop foundational, functional and leadership competencies in others; see learning and development as a critical input to delivering exceptional client service to BMC clients; seek to inspire others by holding self-accountable for continuous learning; leverage EY’s performance management and development process (PMDP) methods to effectively manage team member performance and development
• Use tact and diplomacy in complex, sensitive and political situations; lead with courage when facilitating tough conversations with clients, stakeholders and colleagues
• Effectively navigate EY’s and BMC’s matrix organization to access, inform and engage the right people at the right time; identify, build and sustain partnerships with other functions, such as ATO and GDS
• Be a point of integration; connect all facets of the business when initiating, developing and implementing communication and engagement projects; enable knowledge sharing throughout BMC and the practice; develop an ability to synthesize information from others; help the business address its big issues, serve as an organizational connector
• Assert own ideas and persuade others; gain support and commitment from others; mobilize people to take action; use creative approaches to motivate others to meet practice and deliver BMC strategic goals; engage with leaders effectively to gain sponsorship for activities
• Develop appropriate project plans in alignment with BMC project management methodologies and professional standards; be adaptable and proactive in addressing project challenges
• Show initiative, coupled with accuracy and attention to detail; demonstrate reliability
• Demonstrate the ability to manage several projects concurrently; excellent time management and organizational skills
• Be a strong self-starter and lateral thinker, comfortable working collaboratively, virtually and independently
Ability to account for and address multiple influences / inputs and lead Tax to incorporate these into planning
• Understanding of social media, video and digital platforms
• Experience of working across different cultures and geographies
• Be prepared to travel to different locations as required.
• The CE Leader will lead a global team of professional communications specialists.
• As a senior member of both the Global Tax and CE team there may be additional supervisory, mentoring and coaching responsibilities.
• Preferably US-based.
• Global travel will be required pending business needs.
• Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent area of study or experience); professional or higher qualification in Communications, Corporate Communications, Marketing Communications or Public Relations preferred
• Significant strategic internal communications experience with proven track record in supporting executive teams
• Experience in a cross-border role, managing complex global programs
• Working knowledge of EY, the professional services sector, or matrix organizations
• Ability to interact, influence and communicate effectively with key stakeholders
• Extensive experience in producing content and deploying through a comprehensive range of communication channels including Yammer, Sharepoints, webcasts, events and publishing
• Demonstrable track record in working with external creative agencies
• Strong verbal and written English
Ernst & Young LLP, an equal employment opportunity employer (Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Disabled), values the diversity of our workforce and the knowledge of our people.