EY Associate (Manager), EY Private Due Diligence in Toronto, Ontario
Associate (Manager), EY Private Due Diligence
Strategy and Transactions
Requisition # TOR004UX
Post Date Jun 03, 2021
The mid-market transaction world is active and robust in Canada and a practical business focused advisor is critical to a party’s successful execution of a transaction. EY’s approach to the mid-market is to have well-rounded business advisors who understand M&A, diligence, and valuations in the context of private company transactions. As a transaction advisor who is excited to grow our transaction diligence practice in the middle market, you will have the opportunity to provide meaningful transaction advice to corporate buyers and financial buyers alike, while rounding out your skills and reputation with valuation and M&A advisory experience.
EY has an established industry leading Strategy and Transactions (SaT) Practice. We help clients determine the right deal to do, and then assist them in doing the deal right. We are a growing practice that has the resources to serve any client, anywhere in the world. With so many offerings, you will have the opportunity to develop your career in a friendly, collaborative environment through a broad scope of engagements, mentoring and formal learning. We develop outstanding leaders who team to deliver on our promises to all of our stakeholders, and in so doing, play a critical role in building a better working world for our people, for our clients and for our communities. Like our clients we are passionate about growing our business, and an important part of that growth is for someone to spearhead growth in our transaction diligence business in the mid-market.
Your key responsibilities
As a transaction professional, you will play a lead role in mid-market Transaction Diligence work that our team has an opportunity to scope, propose, and work on. You will be critical to the preparation of proposals, and execution of quality of earnings reports, but will have the opportunity to work with other team members collaboratively, including partners and analysts. As the successful candidate you will have the opportunity to meet with clients and prospective clients to continue building EY’s reputation in the space, and you will have the opportunity to assist other markets around the country in establishing / expanding their mid-market diligence practices. You will also be asked to support the EY Private SaT team in various other transaction services from time to time.
Skills and attributes for success
• A passion for advising clients on mid-market transactions, and a passion for providing due diligence services to support clients in those transactions
• Participate and play a leaderships role in due diligence engagements related to acquisitions or divestments by mid-market equity investor groups and other strategic privately owned companies
• Effectively manage both clients and targets in the mid-market space balancing the need for information with the need for developing a point of view based on the information available
• Analyse financial/operational results of targets through analysis of operational accounting records and conducting interviews with management
• Identify and quantify GAAP issues as they relate to the valuation of the target
• Prepare/evaluate pro forma financial information
• Analyse carve-out issues, as applicable relating to a buy-side or sell-side project
• Identify issues for purchase price reductions, deal structuring or deal termination
• Identify post-acquisition/divestiture action steps to mitigate risk / realize opportunities
• Evaluate effects of seasonality on cash flow requirements
• Perform industry and company research
• Correlate due diligence findings with client valuations. Manage expectations of service
• Prepare / review effective and streamlined financial due diligence reports
• Develop people including supervising staff effectively, providing constructive feedback/training and conduct performance reviews
• Perform / articulate viewpoints about potential buyers and strategic fit for opportunities
• Prepare valuations analysis and reports related to private mid-market transactions
• Contribute to business development efforts through networking and through reaching out directly to potential clients
To qualify for the role you must have
• Bachelors or Masters Degree in Accounting and/or related major.
• CPA or CA, CPA certification
• 1-2 years of financial due diligence experience or other relevant transaction experience
• Minimum 4 years of accounting experience
• Effective written and verbal communication skills
• Strong analytical and interpersonal skills
• Dedication to teamwork
• Strong work initiative and the ability to adapt to new challenges and ideas
• Willingness to team and learn
What we look for
We’re interested in talented professionals with the ability and eagerness to roll up their sleeves and help our clients, but also with the drive and long-term aspirations to grow and lead EY’s mid-market due diligence practice. If you have an entrepreneurial spirit, and a genuine passion for taking on new challenges, this role is for you.
What working at EY offers
At EY, our Total Rewards package supports our commitment to creating a leading people culture - built on high-performance teaming - where everyone can achieve their potential and contribute to building a better working world for our people, our clients and our communities. Its one of the many reasons we repeatedly win awards for being a great place to work.
We offer a competitive compensation package where you’ll be rewarded based on your performance and recognized for the value you bring to our business. In addition, our Total Rewards package allows you decide which benefits are right for you and which ones help you create a solid foundation for your future. Our Total Rewards package includes a comprehensive medical, prescription drug and dental coverage, a defined contribution pension plan, a great vacation policy plus firm paid days that allow you to enjoy longer long weekends throughout the year, statutory holidays and paid personal days (based on province of residence), and a range of exciting programs and benefits designed to support your physical, financial and social well-being. Plus, we offer:
• Support and coaching from some of the most engaging colleagues in the industry
• Learning opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
• The freedom and flexibility to handle your role in a way that’s right for you
As a global leader in assurance, tax, strategy, transaction and advisory services, we’re using the finance products, expertise and systems we’ve developed to build a better working world. That starts with a culture that believes in giving you the training, opportunities and creative freedom to make things better. Whenever you join, however long you stay, the exceptional EY experience lasts a lifetime.
If you can confidently demonstrate that you meet the criteria above, please contact us as soon as possible.
Make your mark. Apply today.
EY is committed to inclusiveness, equity and accessibility. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply.